Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Introducing Maxim Gunn

This blog being about the Maxim Gunn adventures, and not being a blockhead, I thought I’d give you a chance to read a couple of pages of the first story “Maxim Gunn and the Chaos Project”. So, first the blurb, and then...you never know, you might like it, so read on.

Maxim Gunn, agent extraordinary, takes on one last official mission before resigning from the Organization. Wanda Liszt, arch criminal: dark, beautiful and deadly, has found Sheba’s Necklace, the legendary rope of emeralds that bestows great powers on its possessor. Her plan: Chaos in Africa, after which she, as Great White Queen will pick up the pieces and rule the greatest empire the world has ever seen. Gunn is ambushed by a Mongolian archer, fights a starving jaguar, wrestles a monstrous freak, and pits himself against an albino swordsman in his desperate efforts to thwart her. The explosive climax takes place in the Swiss Alps.

CHAPTER ONE

“I swear,” Maxim Gunn announced, with feeling, “that after the next job I’m going to quit.”
Cynthia Ffoote took a chocolate from the box at her side, unwrapped it carefully and popped it in her mouth before replying indistinctly. “I wish I had a pound for every time you’ve said that.”
Gunn unfolded from his arm chair, and stood by the window, hands in pockets, looking onto the street below. “This time I mean it.”
“So, you mean it. And what would you do?”
Gunn shrugged. “God knows. But look at all those people down there. They lead normal, productive lives. No nasty surprises except at income tax time and hardly anyone ever tries to kill them. They’re perfectly safe and happy.”
“And mostly bored out of their skulls,” Cynthia replied.
“Why should they be?”
“Not much excitement in the average nine to five job, you know.”
“I’ve had enough excitement to last a life time. And who said I’d do something boring?”
Cynthia closed the chocolate box firmly, got up, and went to stand behind him, chin on his shoulder and arms around his waist.
“I can't see you behind a desk. You wouldn’t last five minutes.” She peered into the street and said. “Look at that man down there, the one in the dark suit with a raincoat over his arm. What d’you think he does?”
Gunn followed her gaze and picked out the object in question. “Respectable business man. Happily married. Two kids and a dog, and spends two weeks a year in Benidorm.”
“Yes. Something like that, I suppose. But the sun’s shining, not a cloud in the sky, and he’s carrying a raincoat. That tell you something about him?”
Gunn twisted round and grinned at her. “He doesn’t take chances.”
Cynthia gave him a triumphant smile. “Exactly. You want to be like that?”
“No,” Gunn replied, firmly. “But there are a lot of things in this world that aren’t dull, and I’m still going to quit after the next job. It’s very definitely time to say, ‘Up the Organization.’”
The girl rested her dark blond head against his chest. “I’ve got to admit there are times when I wish you would.” She pulled away and looked up into his eyes. “But I don’t think you will. I don’t think you could. I think you live for the excitement. It’s what makes you what you are, and it’s what you’re good at. Wouldn’t you miss the people you know?”
Gunn kissed her forehead. “You don’t miss people in this kind of life; you just remember them. Anyway, you’ll see. And while we’re on the subject of seeing. Did you...?”
“See the man watching the house? Yes. Who is he?”
Gunn’s eyes widened. “I’ve no idea. But no doubt we’ll find out.” He looked down at her from his six foot two height, blue eyes twinkling. “I wonder why anyone would want to keep an eye on me?”
Cynthia’s face took on an unusually cold expression. “So long as it’s not that woman.”
“Wanda Liszt? Do I detect a hint of jealousy?”
Cynthia put her hand on his arm. “She frightens me, Maxim. She’s ruthless, and so cold; and you know she wants revenge more than anything.”
Gunn laughed, delightedly. “She does add a bit of zest to life, doesn’t she?”
Cynthia shook her head in mild exasperation. “See what I mean? The minute there’s a thought of something happening you’re up and running to meet it head on. You’re hopeless.”
Gunn tried to look offended. “But I haven’t done a thing,” he protested. “And anyway, while there are people like her in the world I’ll...”
“You’ll never quit. And just for that, you can take me to dinner tonight at that new place. I hear it’s very good, and very expensive. Your lies are going to cost you, Maxim Gunn.” She glanced at her watch, and gave a sharp exclamation of annoyance. “Damn. I didn’t realize it was so late. I must fly.”
As she gathered her things, Gunn asked. “What’s the great rush? Something vital, like a hair appointment?”
Cynthia’s look was withering. “If you like, I’ll turn up for dinner in curlers.”

No comments: